[Twisted-Python] coverage buildbot builder

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 17 23:15:31 MDT 2015

> On Mar 17, 2015, at 4:33 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> First, a few question regarding the coverage builder.
>
> 1. Why is the coverage builder executed under a French locale ?

This is unintentional, I'm sure.

> 2. Does anyone check its results. Are those results used in some way?

They are uploaded, and the link is visible from the buildbot.

For example, a recent build:

https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builds/twisted-coverage.py/twisted-coverage.py-r44067/ <https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builds/twisted-coverage.py/twisted-coverage.py-r44067/>
> 3. I see that it is in the list of supported builder. Is the coverage
> builder relevant should we reject a patch if coverage is under a
> certain limit?

I don't think the coverage builder is tracking a total number.  It would be better if it could.

> While reading the wiki and narrative documentation I could not find
> the answer to the above questions.
>
> I assume that coverage reporter should be run on all builder and then
> aggregate all results. Otherwise I expect that a coverage builder on
> Linux will have a lot of false positives for Windows or OSX specific
> code.

This would certainly be better, but what we have now is still pretty valuable.  If you click on that link you can see there are still a lot of totally cross-platform modules with terrible coverage numbers (twisted.names.authority, for example).

> I think that aggregating coverage for all tests modules (ie the
> test_*.py) file itself from all supported builders (os/reactors)
> should help reviewer/developer identify tests which are not executed
> Maybe the results could be sent to one of the trendy web services and
> have a nice graph.
>
> Does Twisted have this in place?

No.

> Do you think this might be useful?