[Twisted-Python] Proposal -- Code of Conduct

Clayton Daley clayton.daley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:01:17 MDT 2015

Not that I'm a heavy contributor, but:

   - A CoC is like a ToS in many ways.  They rarely get read until there's
   a problem.
   - A CoC is like a License in many ways.  They should be pretty standard
   infrastructure.

I think both of these facts argue for joining Twisted to an existing CoC.
No one goes around reading the CoC for every group they participate in. We
increase the odds that someone reads our CoC if they get leverage (one
read, lots of groups) and we get spill-over (they read the CoC for another
group and thus know ours).

If an extremely common library (think JSON handler) lacks a feature, we
don't start by creating yet another fork.  We make the case to fix
upstream. We only consider forking if we can't get upstream fixed. A CoC is
no different. In fact, a CoC is likely even more generic than a JSON
library -- I have to wonder what's so special about a CoC that we'd need a
fork!  If we use the upstream CoC, we also benefit from improvements
contributed by others.

Clayton