[Twisted-Python] Proposal -- Code of Conduct

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Tue Jun 23 09:39:58 MDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I am sure everyone understands that the Twisted community would love more
diversity. While it is hard to achieve, it should be easy to remove one of
the obvious blockers -- making underrepresented groups feel more welcome.

I think, and hope, that our IRC channel, our issue system and mailing list
have been a friendly, pleasant place. This is an attempt to clarify what we
mean by a "friendly, pleasant place".

After some discussion on IRC, I volunteered to write up a Code of Conduct
for Twisted. It is mostly an adaptation of Django's CoC -- I think Django
has a nice track record of commitment to diversity, and, of course, we
expect our communities to overlap.

My current draft, including instructions on how to build it, is in
https://github.com/moshez/twisted-coc . I have intentionally not made the
built documents available, in an attempt to avoid someone picking them up
before they're approved by us.

Please respond if there are any concerns about the wording, anything that I
missed and anything you think does not belong there. I hope we can achieve
consensus, and have the Project Leadership Committee approve this
(including approving the current committee -- I've volunteered to chair it,
and Glyph and Amber (HawkOwl) have graciously agreed to be on it.)

Thanks,
Moshe Z.

I've noticed several typos in the Reporting Guidelines section
(reporting.rst)

I hope this is the appropriate place to report them.

* first sentence of the 4th paragraph of the "What Happens..." section.
  The last word is "response", should be "respond"

* Last sentence of the same paragraph: "Finally, the Working Group will
make a report on the situation to the DSF board. The board may choose to
a public report of the incident."  Should be TSF board, not DSF board, and
needs a verb in the final clause, probably "make".

Also, more substantively, the first possible response is "Nothing (if we
determine no violation occurred)."  Maybe I'm just too literal, but I
think there should be a positive response to every report, even if that
response is "We've decided not to do anything", so the reporter knows the
report has been seen and thought about and hasn't just fallen through the
cracks.

Another note, someone earlier implied that since Twisted doesn't sponsor
events, the event-related parts of the Django CoC were irrelevant.  In
the past, there have been several local bug-fixing sprints, one of which
I almost actually attended.  I would think these would qualify as events
and the issues for a CoC when people meet in person may be somewhat
different from when we meet online.

Otherwise, I strongly support this and am happy the Twisted Project is
taking a proactive stance on it.  Great work, everyone, and thank you
Moshe, Glyph and Amber!

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.