[Twisted-Python] Twisted formatting checking in Emacs?

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Sat Jun 13 02:43:41 MDT 2015

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 at 21:06 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 at 09:57 Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
>
>> How can I set up Emacs so it gives me inline warnings of Twisted coding
>> standard violations?
>>
>> I use flycheck <http://www.flycheck.org/> in Emacs for most projects,
>> and rely a lot on it. How can I configure it to use twistedchecker
>> <https://github.com/twisted/twistedchecker> for syntax checks for
>> Twisted instead of its default flake8 & pylint checkers?
>>

> I have also posted this question to Stack Exchange
> <http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/13109/how-can-i-use-a-custom-python-linter-for-a-specific-project-with-flycheck>
> .
>

> If you sort this out nicely, please share :).  One problem I've had with
> setting up automatic flymake checking in Twisted is that I cannot figure
> out how to get it to show me deltas from trunk.  Branches with gigantic
> unrelated cleanups in them are hard to review, and I don't want my editor
> yelling at me about changes that aren't in my additions or changes.
>  (Except when I'm working on a branch whose _goal_ is cleanups, in which
> case I do).
>
> However, buildbot does this somehow, so it must be possible :).

If I were to try to solve that particular problem, here's what I'd do:

   - add a thing to the checker to allow you to provide a file of known,
   suppressed warnings; the checker would also warn if expected warnings
   weren't there
   - add a Python unit test that fails if there are warnings issued that
   aren't known, or "known" warnings that have gone away
   - kill the dedicated twistedchecker builder
   - whenever I fix up warnings, also modify that file
   - any lint warnings that I wished to legitimately suppress (not just to
   enable incremental migration) I'd disable with comments in the file

Before I did that, I'd make sure the version of twistedchecker was pinned,
because new versions are likely to add/remove warnings. I'd also probably
have a round of massively relaxing twistedchecker's rules.

jml