[Twisted-Python] [Twisted-web] Twisted is removing Python 2.6 support

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Mon Jun 8 04:35:06 MDT 2015

> On 8 Jun 2015, at 17:57, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
> On 09:42 am, hawkowl at atleastfornow.net wrote:

>>> I think this is backwards.  There was basically no strong argument made against dropping Python 2.6 support but there was no case made for dropping OS X support.  I don't think you can remove the only OS X builder from the supported list.  That's equivalent to saying OS X support is being dropped.
>>>
>>> So either the existing OS X slaves need to be upgraded first (I don't see why you wouldn't just do this) or Python 2.6 support (at least on OS X) needs to be retained until someone else volunteers a Python 2.7 OS X slave.
>>>
>>> Jean-Paul

>> Hi JP,
>>
>> I know that this would leave OS X uncovered -- lukasa, habnabit, and Adi have at separate points offered OS X builders of varying OS levels and even Python versions, both on the mailing list and in #twisted-dev (where Lukasa answered the call from this email and offered a Yosemite builder today), which is why I am confident that this will not end up being an issue when 15.3's first prerelease is issued.
>
> I'd be even more confident if you don't disable the Python 2.6 OS X builder until a new Python 2.7 OS X builder is set up.  If this turns out to be easy, then nothing has been lost.  If it ends up being hard, then it's much better than having a screwed up 15.3.

15.3 is the last release *with* Python 2.6 support -- that is, the 2.6 builders will be on the supported list until at least 15.3 is released. The goal is that we have both 2.6 and 2.7 on OS X tested before 15.3's release.

>> I think the prevailing reason that we don't have an OS X 2.7 bot is that last time OS X hardware was offered, the buildbot was not being actively maintained. I've taken up the mantle in some capacity and getting Twisted supported on more platforms is my primary goal. And as an OS X user, I have some vested interest in it continuing being supported.
>
> Once again, I'm not really clear on why the existing build slaves aren't just being upgraded.  Why is new hardware required?

I would much prefer to have a new builder to take up the role, migrate the buildslave roles, and then upgrade the existing 10.6 slave once we have something new working. That way, if something goes wrong during the upgrade, we maintain a supported OS X builder.

-----

I think I've been failing at communication a bit -- a prerequisite of dropping 2.6 support has always hinged on getting 2.7 (and optionally 3.3/3.4) builders for platforms that only had 2.6. I have a RHEL7 builder in the wings to get that platform supported, Debian has 7 & 8 now supported, and there's OS X, which I am confident I can get 2.7 builders set up for before 15.3.

- Amber