[Twisted-Python] Should the CFFI wrapper and functions for win32 be a separate project?

Oliver Palmer oliverpalmer at opalmer.com
Sun Jun 14 11:36:52 MDT 2015

As the subject says, could the CFFI wrappers around the win32 functions
that Twisted needs be a separate project? This came up briefly in
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7889 so I thought I might pose the
question to a larger audience.

Generally speaking, the idea of making it a separate project to me seems
like a logical step in many ways.  Since the code is not specific to
Twisted keeping it outside of the Twisted project, much like pywin32 is,
makes it easier for contributors and consumers alike to reuse or expand on
the cffi wrapper in the future.  I don't think the objective would be to
replace all of pywin32 initially but to provide enough to be usable by the
Twisted project.

Besides Twisted I know there are some other projects out there that could
benefit from making this a separate project.  But before taking this
approach however I'm wondering if this would be reasonable from Twisted's
perspective?

---Oliver