[Twisted-Python] Proposed compat policy change in regards to unmaintained upstream dependencies

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jul 7 21:50:34 MDT 2015

> On Jul 7, 2015, at 7:41 PM, Amber Hawkie Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Since it's been coming up recently, I'm proposing a change to the compat policy, where removing the use of unmaintained/unsupported upstream dependencies is an automatic exception.
>
> This was brought up by Glyph in https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5137#comment:11 -- hotshot is broken, unsupported, and unmaintained, and removing something that doesn't work in the first place should be able to be done automatically. This was also the case with PyPAM -- it didn't even seemingly exist, so the Twisted support code couldn't work at all.
>
> So, this email is to get general comment on the scope and possibility of such a change. I believe it would be a worthwhile addition to the policy.

I think so!  I guess I think so because it was my idea though.

I think we might want to keep the notification part - mainly so that people will realize that they could maintain the upstream dependency if they want to re-introduce this functionality - but the multiple sign-offs and grace period shouldn't be necessary for stuff that just doesn't work.

-glyph