[Twisted-Python] Porting twisted.spread.banana to py3

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang.kde at rohdewald.de
Wed Jul 1 04:29:54 MDT 2015

Am Mittwoch, 1. Juli 2015, 11:33:58 schrieb Jørn Lomax:
> I'm a gsoc student working on the buildbot project, porting it to py3.
> Part of this is looking at porting the dependencies buildbot has in
> twisted and try to port them.
>
> twisted.spread is the most used twisted dependency, so I have started
> working on this.

I would much appreciate seeing spread ported.

Last year I actually already did (all tests passed) but then I did not find
the time to make separate tickets to be reviewed.

Actually porting spread is easier than getting the source into something
acceptable by the core developers.

But I published what I got, see my mail on this list from Nov 3 2014:

>> there now is https://github.com/wrohdewald/twisted.git
>>
>> branch spread-py3-7598

If I would continue with this now, I would probably first rebase that branch
onto master (not sure if the twisted project still uses svn or if the
migration to git has already been done).

You could also look for tickets opened by myself (wolfgang61), most
of them should be about porting spread.

> I started working on banana.py and I have encountered a
> question. In dataRecieved (banana.py:174). A chunk is added to the
> buffer. On python3, how should the distinction be made between string
> and bytes. Buffer seems to be a string, the chunk seems to be bytes, and
> sometimes opposite.

I believe that chunk is a banana-encoded string, so there should be no
need to treat it as bytes.

--
Wolfgang