[Twisted-Python] Proposed compat policy change in regards to unmaintained upstream dependencies

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Tue Jul 7 20:41:34 MDT 2015

Hi,

Since it's been coming up recently, I'm proposing a change to the compat policy, where removing the use of unmaintained/unsupported upstream dependencies is an automatic exception.

This was brought up by Glyph in https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5137#comment:11 -- hotshot is broken, unsupported, and unmaintained, and removing something that doesn't work in the first place should be able to be done automatically. This was also the case with PyPAM -- it didn't even seemingly exist, so the Twisted support code couldn't work at all.

So, this email is to get general comment on the scope and possibility of such a change. I believe it would be a worthwhile addition to the policy.

Amber "Hawkie" Brown
GPG: https://keybase.io/hawkowl