[Twisted-Python] txmongo vs. pymongo + callInThread

bret curtis psi29a at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:01:31 MST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Gelin Yan <dynamicgl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM, bret curtis <psi29a at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Gelin Yan <dynamicgl at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Clayton
>>>
>>>     Txmongo has been inactive for a while so I suggest using pymongo &
>>> twisted thread pool. I have been using them for a couple of years and they
>>> work quite well.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> gelin yan
>>>

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> just wanted to drop in and say that txmongo isn't dead. We (Amplidata)
>> just recently sent a merge request to add SSL (authentication/encryption)
>> support[1] that Alexandre will review after the holidays. While Alexandre
>> isn't currently developing txmongo, he does review and accept pull
>> requests. So while the community is small, it is still alive.
>>
>> Amplidata (the company I work for) has also expressed an interest in
>> getting txmongo up to speed with PyMongo, similar in how we got Ldaptor and
>> its myriad forks to converge and development happening again.[2][3]
>>
>> Is there any interest in seeing txmongo be developed further? What are
>> some of the pain points that people would rather defer to thread PyMongo
>> instead of using async txmongo?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bret
>>

>  Hi Bret
>
>    I am glad to know txmongo is still here. I used it several times a few
> years ago and was impressed by its speed (twice faster than pymongo &
> thread pool).
>
>      I hope txmongo can support the latest GEO index & replication.
>
> Regards
>
> gelin yan

Hello Gelin,

You should check out our other thread about getting TxMongo moved into
Twisted's github org.
https://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2015-January/029144.html

There is already some support for Geo and replication, but it could always
use more work. What is it specifically you would like to see, aside from
everything. ;)

https://github.com/fiorix/txmongo/blob/master/txmongo/filter.py
^--  Support for GEO2D and GEOHAYSTACK spatial indices were added in 2012.

When you specify your hosts in ConnectionPool, you can give it a full
mongodb URI that includes all your replication servers, even with SSL
support. It is smart enough to cycle through until it finds a master to
continue operations.

I'm still trying to a compile a list of pain points that people have that
can be addressed. The more specific, the better.

Cheers,
Bret