[Twisted-Python] Review tag for closed tickets

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jan 26 17:44:27 MST 2015

On 26 Jan, 08:51 pm, adi at roiban.ro wrote:

>>The review should be completed before the ticket is merged, so the bot
>>should not be doing this automatically.
>
>but in the commit message I do add the author, why not have the bot
>automatically assign the first author form the list, review merge and
>close the ticket?
>
>What is the purpose of these manual task and why you don't want to
>automate them?

You jumped pretty quickly from "it is not automated" to "you don't want
to automate them".

Building reliable automation is work.  If that's work you want to do,
feel free.

One challenge you'll have to contend with is that the metadata
automatically collected by trac is often incorrect.  For example, the
author field is populated based on the person who creates the svn
branch.  Non-committers can never create svn branches so the tickets
worked on by non-committers often have an incorrect author field.

I'm sure this can be overcome.  It's just one example of an extra
difficulty you might not have immediately recognized when thinking about
how reliable automation to take over this menial task could work.

Jean-Paul