[Twisted-Python] Spurious failure on winxp32-py2.7

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jan 25 08:28:34 MST 2015

On 02:19 pm, adi at roiban.ro wrote:
>While running tests I see that the following tests fails randomly...
>it it was failing  from some time
>

>twisted.words.test.test_xpath.XPathTests.test_position

This is an unrelated test.  I'm not sure if this is a simple copy/paste
mistake or if you're mis-reading trial output.  This is the test before
the test that failed.

The test that failed is named at the bottom of the failure report:

twisted.trial._dist.test.test_disttrial.DistTrialRunnerTestCase.test_runUntilFailure

This test has intermittently failed on Windows since disttrial was
merged into trunk.

The ticket tracking this problem is
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/6027
>[FAIL]
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File
>"C:\buildslave\twisted\winxp32-py2.7\Twisted\twisted\trial\_dist\test\test_disttrial.py",
>line 371, in test_runUntilFailure
>    self.assertEqual(5, len(called))
>  File
>"C:\buildslave\twisted\winxp32-py2.7\Twisted\twisted\trial\_synctest.py",
>line 447, in assertEqual
>    % (msg, pformat(first), pformat(second)))
>twisted.trial.unittest.FailTest: not equal:
>a = 5
>b = 2

>On my local computer (Ubuntu 14.04) the test is always skipped.

The skip report should tell you why it's skipped.  Presumably you're
missing one of the dependencies - though off the top of my head I'm not
sure what third-party dependencies this code has.
>Does anyone has any idea why the test is not skipped ?

The default state of a test should *not* be to skip.  It should be to
run.  A skipped test is a useless test.

Jean-Paul