[Twisted-Python] the repository metadata of inevitability

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jan 23 18:27:08 MST 2015

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 2:04 PM, meejah <meejah at meejah.ca> wrote:
>
> Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know how I would re-generate the mirror to fix this?
>
> You should be able to change the metadata in-place, and force-push a new
> repository (or delete and re-create?) Obviously, all the hashes are
> going to change if you change the author names.
>
> You'll want to look at "git filter-branch" and probably just
> --env-filter will be sufficient (and quite fast) for this use-case.
>
> Beware that you'll likely want to change both of GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL *and*
> GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL (they're probably the same, especially if this is a
> git-svn clone).

If I do this with filter-branch, though, that's going to break git-svn support entirely because the hashes won't match, right?

>> Also: can anyone (probably only Tom Prince, unfortunately) with
>> knowledge of how the buildbot works tell me if any of that
>> configuration is going to need to be adjusted?
>
> I have done the above to a simple buildbot setup before, and I recall it
> being happy -- it usually exports a specific hash if I recall
> correctly. Of course, Twisted's setup is likely considerably more
> complex than mine was :)

<https://github.com/twisted-infra/twisted-buildbot-configuration/ <https://github.com/twisted-infra/twisted-buildbot-configuration/>> is available for your perusal if you want to find it out :).  But yeah, it's Twisted's configuration specifically I'm asking about, since our frankenstein svn→git setup is both weird and rickety.  The goal of the ongoing changes I'm referring to in my original message is to remove it.

-glyph