[Twisted-Python] Twisted receiving buffers swamped?

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sat Jan 17 09:51:15 MST 2015

First, sorry for sluggish response time ..

>>>E.g. I need latency histograms, but this seems unsupported (benchmark results can
>>>only have avg/min/max/stddev). For me, this isn't "nice to have", but essential.
>>>Throughput is one thing. Constistent low latency a completely different. The latter is
>>>much much harder.

>>Codespeed is terrible.  But this is not one of the ways in which it is terrible.  Codespeed doesn't care if you label your measurement "latency".  I think you've just noticed that what the existing benchmarks measure is mostly (entirely?) throughput.  If you wanted to >>write a latency benchmark, I don't think anything's stopping you.

>I believe Tobias was not saying "codespeed can't have a measurement called 'latency'" but rather "codespeed can't do histograms of measurements, which we need for measurement of latency and you don't need for measurement of throughput".  Is that accurate?  I don't know if there's a histogram feature hidden in the UI somewhere.

Yes, exactly. That's what I meant.

As an example of the kind of analysis and visualization I am after, please have a look here:

http://www.brendangregg.com/HeatMaps/latency.html

In particular, latency heatmaps are an incredible useful visualization.

http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html#HeatMaps

>It would be nice to at least try a little bit to contribute things (like a histogram feature) to codespeed before charging off in a completely different direction.

It is Django and canvas for gfx.

The former I have no know-how and no use/motivation for. Rendering HTML on the server isn't something we do anymore (WebSocket talking WAMP to Crossbar.io, anything else is just static HTML/JS/CSS/Images).

For the latter, there is D3 (http://d3js.org/) which is awesome and vector graphics.

For heatmaps, canvas _might_ be fine, but for virtually anything chart like, D3 has a lot to bring to the table.

In general, I can follow the argument of "contributing instead of reinventing" and "paying back", but in this particular case, I can't justify sinking time into this (codespeed).

Cheers,
/Tobias