[Twisted-Python] Twisted receiving buffers swamped?

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jan 14 05:41:46 MST 2015

On 03:21 am, glyph at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>>On Jan 12, 2015, at 1:08 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>>E.g. I need latency histograms, but this seems unsupported (benchmark
>>>results can
>>>only have avg/min/max/stddev). For me, this isn't "nice to have", but
>>>essential.
>>>Throughput is one thing. Constistent low latency a completely
>>>different. The latter is
>>>much much harder.
>>
>>Codespeed is terrible.  But this is not one of the ways in which it is
>>terrible.  Codespeed doesn't care if you label your measurement
>>"latency".  I think you've just noticed that what the existing
>>benchmarks measure is mostly (entirely?) throughput.  If you wanted to
>>write a latency benchmark, I don't think anything's stopping you.
>
>I believe Tobias was not saying "codespeed can't have a measurement
>called 'latency'" but rather "codespeed can't do histograms of
>measurements, which we need for measurement of latency and you don't
>need for measurement of throughput".  Is that accurate?  I don't know
>if there's a histogram feature hidden in the UI somewhere.
>
>It would be nice to at least try a little bit to contribute things
>(like a histogram feature) to codespeed before charging off in a
>completely different direction.

I wasn't suggesting it would be a good idea to contribute to codespeed.
I think codespeed should be thrown in the trash.  It was a great
demonstration of a concept and we should thank it for that.  However, as
the basis of future development - no, it's an awful piece of
unmaintained software.

I was just trying to say that work towards replacing it should learn
what it can from codespeed to try to avoid creating another piece of
awful, ultimately unmaintained software.

Jean-Paul