[Twisted-Python] Twisted receiving buffers swamped?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jan 13 20:21:55 MST 2015

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 1:08 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
>> E.g. I need latency histograms, but this seems unsupported (benchmark results can
>> only have avg/min/max/stddev). For me, this isn't "nice to have", but essential.
>> Throughput is one thing. Constistent low latency a completely different. The latter is
>> much much harder.
>
> Codespeed is terrible.  But this is not one of the ways in which it is terrible.  Codespeed doesn't care if you label your measurement "latency".  I think you've just noticed that what the existing benchmarks measure is mostly (entirely?) throughput.  If you wanted to write a latency benchmark, I don't think anything's stopping you.

I believe Tobias was not saying "codespeed can't have a measurement called 'latency'" but rather "codespeed can't do histograms of measurements, which we need for measurement of latency and you don't need for measurement of throughput".  Is that accurate?  I don't know if there's a histogram feature hidden in the UI somewhere.

It would be nice to at least try a little bit to contribute things (like a histogram feature) to codespeed before charging off in a completely different direction.

-glyph