[Twisted-Python] Buildbot slaves for Windows

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Feb 3 06:06:47 MST 2015

On 2 February 2015 at 18:48, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:16 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is this wiki page still valid?
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Windows
>
> I saw that it was not updated in the last 5 years.
>

> Yes, it's totally out of date.  We should probably just delete the page.

Removed content and placed a link to WindowsBuilds.

> I think that latest Visual Studio license is free to use for open
> source projects.
>

> This is true.  Unfortunately this is not adequate for a Twisted build
> environment.
>
> Python 2.7 was built against Visual Studio 2008, which means you need a copy
> of VS2K8 to build extensions.
>
> Microsoft has released
> <http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266> to make this
> easier for people who are not professional developers.  Unfortunately this
> download is not quite adequate, because it does not include all the headers
> that are necessary for, for example, building pywin32.  My pypiwin32 build
> <https://warehouse.python.org/project/pypiwin32/> will hopefully alleviate
> this problem, but to have a from-scratch environment as one would want for a
> buildbot (especially since we may need to be responsible for automated
> builds of pypiwin32 itself) we still need full developer tools and not just
> the restricted free stuff.

Thanks for the info,
Maybe it should go as an update to
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/WindowsBuilds#OFFICIAL

Looks like current wiki page is out of date.. it talks about python 2.4 and 2.5

I have in plan to build Twisted from scratch for Windows so I can
validate the wiki page and maybe update it.

> My project/company can donate virtual machines. We will host them and
> our sysadmin will take care of their uptime.
>

> Would you be able to provide external administrative access so that members
> of the project can access and maintain it as necessary?  We have had a
> recurring problem with donated hosting resources, even those with overall
> very good uptime, being inaccessible at critical times, such as sprints.
>
> We have a Proliant G5 2xQuad Core Xeon server which is idle at our UK
> office. It has UPS and dedicated RAID batteries.
>

> Is that machine running a hypervisor or host OS we could have access to?
> More donated hardware frees up our existing donated hardware and cloud
> resources to run other things :).

For now, we can only provide root access to the VMs and not to the
VirtualBox host.

> We have donated 2 Linux VMs in the past but they were never used, so
> we have stop them.
>

> Really, the most serious problem we have is a lack of administrative /
> operational resources, less so than hardware.  Don't get me wrong, hardware
> is useful!  But a couple of hours of a sysadmin's time every month would be
> even more so, because that would let us actually use all the servers that
> folks have offered :).

I understand and I am fully aware of the effort required to maintain
the infrastructure.
I can help with the buildbot as I maintain a multi-OS / multi-project
buildbot installation
for my project with more than 20 slaves and lot of builders on each slave.

Cheers,
--
Adi Roiban