[Twisted-Python] Python 2.7 on CentOS 6

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 04:30:02 MST 2015

On 15/12/15 04:16, Amber "Hawkie" Brown wrote:

> There is a solution to this, and Nick Coghlan has mentioned it to me
> many times -- Software Collections for RHEL and CentOS. Software
> Collections is RH's answer to "new software" on "stable
> distributions" --  SCLs operate side-by-side with system packages, so
> it won't break anything. Since you're a CentOS 6.7 user, the standard
> SCL should work (it's 6.5+).

I really disliked the SCLs when I looked at it. The supported use-case
seems to be a kind of hugely over-engineered set of wrapper/environment
setup scripts:

scl enable python2.7 pip install blah

...ad infinitum.

Personally - and I guess for others as well - the SCLs will be
off-putting. It's a shame there isn't a simpler solution, namely EPEL
python2.7 - having a 2nd python in a different path is quite safe, we do
it routinely.

It's hugely annoying that RHEL6 and derivatives missed out on Python 2.7 :o(