[Twisted-Python] PotentialZombieWarning warning message?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 18:54:43 MST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
<glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 2015, at 3:53 PM, pisymbol . <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
>> <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>> I did a pip install and it said I needed Python 2.7 or higher. Let me
>>> reevaluate if I can just update twisted.
>>>

>>> Try `pip install twisted==15.4´ if you still require Python2.6 support; `pip
>>> install twisted´ will install the latest, which no longer works on 2.6.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what I did. It's working now!
>
> Great!  Glad to hear you were able to make a huge leap in Twisted versions with little trouble :-).
>
>>> But again: Python 2.6 is unsupported by the upstream Python developers.  You
>>> really should not be using it, since it won't receive security updates (of
>>> course, Red Hat and transitively CentOS claim to "support" these packages,
>>> but if upstream is refusing patches at this point, it's not clear where that
>>> support will come from).
>>
>> As you can imagine, this boils down to politics.
>
> I understand that things like this often do, which is exactly why I want to make it clear that we (speaking in terms of the broader Python community now, not just Twisted) are trying to push people towards more recent versions just because they're more fun or more aesthetically pleasant, but because there are very real risks associated with being on unsupported ancient versions of things.  It pains me not to be supporting a configuration that some users want, but there is a line where "conservative about change" becomes "negligent about maintenance" and python 2.6 crossed it a little over two years ago :-).

I'm not disagreeing with you per se...but...

The fact is the Python community at large then needs to convince the
distro maintainers accordingly. Telling a customer to update their
entire platform for a newer version of Python isn't going to fly a lot
of times (and remember, someone of them have support agreements with
RH).

And running two versions of Python can get messy real fast.

Anyway, it is what it is.

>>> If you must use CentOS 6, then I'd recommend installing PyPy 4.0 from
>>> https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy#portable-pypy-distribution-for-linux
>>> and using that.  In addition to being security-supported, it will also make
>>> your python code run 10x faster :).
>>
>> Interesting, I'll take a look.
>
> Hope that works out for you.  Good luck!

Thanks! So far, so good. I was now able to lift my prototype code and
integrate it with the rest.

I'll probably have more questions at some point, but at least 15.4 did
the trick!

-aps