[Twisted-Python] incompatible change - need revert before release

Tom Prince tom.prince at ualberta.net
Mon Dec 7 02:45:14 MST 2015

Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
> If it's been in a release, then there's probably nothing to do.  It's
> a shame that this went out, but once a breakage like this has happened
> we have to live with it because otherwise, as you say, we'd be
> breaking compatibility for the people that already upgraded.  For
> those that need to support both versions, keyword arguments are the
> way to go.

There are perhaps a couple of things we can do. The types of the
arguments should usually (always?) be different, so we could at least
warn if we suspect the wrong thing was passed, if not either error out
or do the right thing, so code won't silently or inexcplicably fail
later. We could also deprecate passing an argument as a positional
argument, so eventually upgrading will always get an error, rather than
incorrect behavior.

  Tom