[Twisted-Python] Attaching the release number to a closed/merged ticket

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Fri Dec 4 05:51:01 MST 2015

Hi,

I would like to ask you if you think that is a good idea to have the
version of Twisted in which the changes associated with a ticket.

The use case would be: Someone search the net for something related to
Twisted (a bug or some feature) and the land to a Trac ticket. Just by
looking at the Trac ticket that person should see if the ticket is still in
work, is invalid or changes were made in release YY.NN

-------

My proposal for implementing this is:

Each release will have a new milestone with the same name called
'next-release'.

Once the changes for a ticket were merged the ticket is assigned to the
'next-release' milestone.

When release is done, the next-release is renamed to the release name and
all previous tickets will be auto-updated.

A new milestone called 'next-release' is created.

Invalid or duplicate tickets should not have the 'next-relesese' milestone.

-----------

Amber commented that using milestones for such a thing is not a good idea
and that we should use tags like: landed-in-15.5, landed-for-15.5 ... and
keep milestones like Python-3 unchanged.

I don't like tags as when a ticket is landed we don't know if next release
will be16.0 or 15.6.

We can use a 'next-release' tag and when a release is done, check all
tickets and update their tag.

--------

Please send your suggestions and comments.

Thanks!

--
Adi Roiban