[Twisted-Python] please can haz code review -> Tor-ified Twisted Python HTTP proxy server - txtorhttpproxy

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:46:09 MDT 2015

Dear Twisted/Tor developers,

I am motivated by language security concerns. I think Twisted Python
can often implement excellent replacements for our old crufty C
implementations. In this case I'd like to stop using C programs
running as root (or not root) to torify http connections... like
privoxy, polipo, apt tor transport etc.

Last year I wrote this little tor http proxy; yes it also handles RFC
2817 proxy CONNECT method as well:
https://github.com/david415/txtorhttpproxy

I wrote an AgentProxy that can proxy any sort of twisted http agent:
https://github.com/david415/txtorhttpproxy/blob/master/txtorhttpproxy/proxy.py

It used to use more terrible underscore imports but Leif fixed the
bit-rot and made it work with Twisted 15:
https://github.com/david415/txtorhttpproxy/commit/38f1a0cfab586f7a8965a47e9c8f951b351426a2

Is this project worthy of your precious 10 minutes to review it... so
I can improve the code quality?

If I get rid of this last terrible import:
from twisted.web._newclient import ResponseDone

then I'm not sure how to detect when to call the finish() method here:
https://github.com/david415/txtorhttpproxy/blob/master/txtorhttpproxy/proxy.py#L38-L52

Sincerely,
David Stainton