[Twisted-Python] Notice for downstream package maintainers: Subproject packages are going away

HawkOwl hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Wed Apr 22 06:38:07 MDT 2015

Hi,

As discussed in the ML thread (http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2015-April/029386.html), and with general "yes"ness, I think I should make it official -- Twisted subproject packages are going away.

Downstream packagers that package Twisted as multiple subprojects (core+[mail,conch,names,etc]) should replace them with one Twisted package, from the source tarball released under `http://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/Twisted/{VERSION}/Twisted-{VERSION}.tar.bz2`.

The roadmap for this is to completely drop the subproject packages at 16.0 at the latest, to give downstream packagers time to update. If the major distributions that package Twisted by using the subprojects[1] (FreeBSD, Debian, Gentoo) migrate to the one Twisted package before then, there is no use releasing the subproject packages and they will be dropped that release.

- Hawkie

[1] Fedora and Arch already just have the one python-twisted package.