[Twisted-Python] Deprecating subproject packaging

HawkOwl hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Wed Apr 22 05:55:48 MDT 2015

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 19:46, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 22, 2015, at 04:04, HawkOwl <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>
>> So, I think we should:
>>
>> - Deprecate the subproject setup.pys starting with 15.2 and stop packaging subprojects separately as of 16.0 (15.2 in May, 15.3 in July, 15.4 in September, 15.5 in November, 16.0 in January 2016 -- so ~4 releases + 1 major release notice).
>> - Remove the support code for subprojects in twisted.python._release + the release scripts in the 16.0 release.
>
> If anything, this seems like too generous a timeline to me.  We have the deprecation process to preserve API stability.  Do the subproject setup.py's expose any API surface?  "from twisted.web import setup" already appears to be an ImportError to me.  I don't think that the subproject release process has helped anyone in a long time.  Is there any reason why we can't just drop it from the next release, other than "the change might not land in time"?
>
> One word of warning - do try to reach out and contact the package maintainers directly, as they may not follow this list closely, and for some reason they seem keen on separated release tarballs.  They might have a compelling use-case (though I doubt it), but at least they should be notified so that unified packages show up promptly after the release where we first issue them.
>
> -glyph

The timeline generosity is simply so that downstream maintainers can get their stuff sorted before we drop it. I'm not sure how fast they move, and if all the major ones do it before that, I guess we can drop it early.

Since there doesn't seem to be any "omg no Hawkie what are you doing" from either you or JP, and otherwise "yes" from people I've asked/on this list so far, I'm guessing that I'll take the initiative and reach out to the downstream maintainers with some degree of "this is what we're doing now unless there's a very good reason".

- Hawkie