[Twisted-Python] Windows CFFI Implementation?

Oliver Palmer oliverpalmer at opalmer.com
Tue Apr 7 23:33:12 MDT 2015

> This is the default answer for any ticket in Twisted, but: *absolutely
not*.  Please go ahead and work away.

Forging ahead then heh.  I'll probably assign the actual ticket to myself
once I've delved into this a little bit further and am decently close to a
patch.  I was mainly asking to see if anyone else had made an attempt yet
so I didn't duplicate anything.

> The ideal end-state here would be to replace not only the dependency on
pywin32, but also the IOCP Pyrex support with an as-needed cffi wrapper for
whatever Windows APIs we need.

That's what I'd like to see too I think.  I'm going to start out with
trying to replace pywin32 since that seems to be the bigger pain point for
consumers of Twisted based on Zooko's input and my own experiences as
well.  I'll have a look at replacing/updating the IOCP Pyrex code as well
while I'm at it.

> In the meanwhile, hopefully the new "extras" support (arriving in a
release any minute now) will mitigate the symptoms while we work on the
root cause.

Nice just read up on this in the repo, looking forward to the release
already.  Thanks!

---Oliver