[Twisted-Python] [ANN] pyOpenSSL 0.15

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Tue Apr 14 10:54:00 MDT 2015

Greetings fellow Pythoneers,

I'm happy to announce that pyOpenSSL 0.15 is now available.

pyOpenSSL is a set of Python bindings for OpenSSL.  It includes some
low-level cryptography APIs but is primarily focused on providing an API
for using the TLS protocol from Python.

Check out the PyPI page (<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOpenSSL>) for
downloads.

***

This is the last release under the stewardship of Jean-Paul Calderone
and the maintainership is now taken over by the Python Cryptography
Authority (PyCA) which has been developing the C-bindings for pyOpenSSL
for a while (aka cryptography).

We’d like to thank him for his great work over the past years and hope
to be able to keep moving the project into a direction that will make
him only slightly sad.

***

The highlights of this release include:

- Support to ECDHE,
- NPN and ALPN support,
- …many bug fixes!

It’s worth pointing out that OpenSSL functions generally work on *byte
strings* because they mirror OpenSSL APIs and OpenSSL is not
Unicode-aware.  Passing Unicode strings tends to accidentally work due
do implicit decodes on Python 2 but they emit a DeprecationWarning now.
Please note that DeprecationWarnings are silenced by default on Python
2.7.

See the ChangeLog at
<https://github.com/pyca/pyopenssl/blob/0.15/ChangeLog> for more
details!