[Twisted-Python] GPRS/Modem protocol through USB support

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.io
Mon Sep 22 09:05:29 MDT 2014

Hi Bram & Simon,

I’ll answer both e-mails in one go :-)

On 22 Sep 2014, at 16:57, Bram Van Steenlandt <bram at diomedia.be> wrote:

> I'm using a gsm modem for sending sms messages, the modem is rs232 so I have to use and ftdi adapter.
> You can use these with pyserial in a thread in twisted.

Huh! Interesting; what drove that choice, given twisted’s serial support?

> op 22-09-14 16:01, Simon Andrieu schreef:
>>
>> Could you help me to know if GPRS/3G/Modem protocols through USB are supported with Twisted please? And how it is possible to use this interface?

Depends what that thing exposes. Usually it’s a character device, so you end up whistling some bytes. However, if you are *just* interested in a very standard Internet connection setup, it is probably much easier to use the existing OS tools for connecting to the internet using that model, than to write something using Twisted. Twisted would be interesting if you want to do interesting things beyond that; e.g. talk to the device and ask it for all sorts of e.g. telemetry data, data that is not already exposed in some standard, easy to consume way.

hth
lvh