[Twisted-Python] Python 3.3 buildslaves

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Sep 15 00:38:53 MDT 2014

On Sep 14, 2014, at 11:07 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> On 15 September 2014 01:09,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7355 is a blocker
>> for the release of Twisted 14.1 and #7355 is blocked Python 3.3 buildbot
>> configuration/availability issues.
>>
>> Who can look at why one of the Python 3.3 slaves is offline and why
>> the two slaves are configured differently?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jean-Paul
>
> I would llike to help, but I don't know if I have the permission to do it.
>
> In the past, I took a look at how buildbots are configured, and I
> discovered that there are a lot of customizations and that there is a
> separate repo/process for updating the buildbots and that special
> privileges are required to touch the buildslaves.

Special privileges are required because one of the aspects of buildslave maintenance is cloud control panel access to the cloud providers that maintain this hardware, which, if abused, could end up billing the non-profit which manages Twisted's funds an unlimited amount of money.  The buildbots are also managed via shell accounts, which could of course be used to deploy malware.

If you are interested in helping to perform maintenance on the buildslaves, access to those permissions could be arranged for you.  It had not occurred to me to ask you before, because if I recall correctly, you'd refused commit privileges when they were offered in the past.

-glyph