[Twisted-Python] PEP3131: non-ascii identifiers

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang.kde at rohdewald.de
Mon Sep 8 05:44:30 MDT 2014

Am Montag, 8. September 2014, 10:54:44 schrieb exarkun at twistedmatrix.com:
> Can you point out the specific places where you think PB needs to start
> using UTF-8 instead of ASCII?  Those are the places that need to be
> fixed, not the underlying porting helpers they happen to use.

My question is whether PEP3131 should be supported or not. After all,
it is an integral part of Python3. I have no opinion about this,
I just want to point it out as a potential problem.

So you say it should not be supported, and I have no problem with that.

Just to be clear about it:

In Python3 you can legally write

def ÜnicödeMethod€Name(self):

or see
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-June/008172.html
for a nice Russian example.

but PB cannot transfer those identifiers. Which is not what the
user would expect.

This should be clearly communicated somewhere in the docs, IMHO.

--
Wolfgang