[Twisted-Python] spread: differences between remote_ and perspective_ needing an explanation

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Oct 14 16:42:20 MDT 2014

On Oct 11, 2014, at 2:30 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald <wolfgang.kde at rohdewald.de> wrote:

> 3. They all raise AttributeError for undefined method except remote_*
>   which raises MethodNotFound. Both are not documented in the API.
>   Could this be unified to MethodNotFound?

Simply changing this is not OK, because code may be relying upon the existing behavior and we can't just break it.  Again, see <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/CompatibilityPolicy>.

That said, we could expose a new public name (something other than Broker, for example) which fixes these bugs, then deprecate the existing name.

-glyph