[Twisted-Python] How do I debug this network problem?

Peter Westlake peter.westlake at pobox.com
Fri Nov 21 07:08:38 MST 2014

Found it!

from twisted.internet.protocol import ClientFactory, Protocol,
ProcessProtocol from twisted.internet import reactor

devnull = open('/dev/null').fileno() print devnull

factory = ClientFactory() factory.protocol = Protocol
reactor.connectTCP('localhost', 'http', factory)
reactor.callWhenRunning(reactor.spawnProcess, ProcessProtocol(),
'/bin/sleep', args=['/bin/sleep', '1000'], childFDs={0: devnull, 1: 'r',
2:'r'}) reactor.run()

Run this, then:

lsof -I @localhost

will show that the child process has the socket open on FD 0.

Now I grant that there's no need to pass /dev/null to the stdin of the
process. I should just leave 0 out of childFDs instead. But why does
this not work? lsof shows that the socket is on FD 3 in the parent
process, and the print statement shows that the FD of devnull is 3 as
well! Am I missing something obvious?

Peter.