[Twisted-Python] Contributor advancement path - proposal (RFC)

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Nov 17 07:40:00 MST 2014

On 17 November 2014 13:44, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On 11:48 am, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>

>>> This sounds great. Could you jot it down on a wiki page?
>>>

>> Hmmm okay. :P
>>

> I wrote up <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Proposal/
> ContributorAdvancementPath>. Notice "Proposal" in the URL.  It would be
> nice to get feedback from some more contributors - particularly people who
> have recently gotten commit access (about whether the problems are real and
> what they think of the proposed solutions) but also from other long-time
> Twisted contributors about whether they like this new idea about how to
> bring more people in (and whether they would volunteer to do the necessary
> candidate reviews - without which effort this isn't practical).

Many thanks!

Twisted requires a high/excellent quality for contributions. This is great
and hope it will never change and will never lower the barrier.
As a new developer, who was formed in a mediocre university and working for
a mediocre/shitty company, learning what are the real good manners is not
easy.

Having the possibility to progress based on well defined skill/competencies
should make it easier to contribute and solve at least some of the tickets
from the review queue.

Once the skills are defined I am up for setting up a page and following the
process.

What is not clear for me, is in what circumstance I can consider a patch or
review successful and able to put in on my progress page / bingo card ?

Thanks!