[Twisted-Python] Permissions to trigger buildbot tests

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Nov 17 04:48:10 MST 2014

On 01:46 am, glyph at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>>On Nov 16, 2014, at 23:44, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>
>>On 10:04 am, adi at roiban.ro wrote:
>>>
>>>This can be part of the current review process page:
>>>https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReviewProcess
>>>
>>>What do you think?
>>
>>I think this process probably involves little enough learning that it
>>won't make a significant difference to the quality of code reviews
>>done for the project (so it will only add overhead to the process of
>>keeping track of different kinds of reviewers and where in their
>>progression "junior" reviewers are).
>>
>>A modification that would help very slightly (but I think still not
>>enough to be worthwhile, particularly since it adds even more
>>overhead) would be to require a correct review covering each of the
>>many relevant areas - for example, howto-style docs, example-style
>>docs, api-style docs, unit test coverage, coding convention compliance
>>(whitespace, variable naming, etc), etc.  After demonstrating
>>competence in all areas the "junior" reviewer could advance to normal
>>review status.
>
>This sounds great. Could you jot it down on a wiki page?

Hmmm okay. :P
>>Unfortunately notice I didn't say anything about the software being
>>built or changed itself.  I don't know of an easy way to test folks
>>for competence at that kind of thing except to see them write a lot of
>>code.
>
>We can easily have a suggested process for this too, if we have to have
>subjective evaluations, then let's just be explicit that some specific
>group has to make some specific evaluation...

After sleeping on this, it doesn't seem quite as bad as I thought, I
guess.

The tracking overhead can mainly be taken on by contributors who are
interested in gaining access.  Casual committers can just ignore this
and their lives will be unchanged.

Perhaps we can put together a committer "bingo card" and let people fill
in the boxes.  When someone has checked all the boxes they can hand over
the information to a ... review committee?  to verify everything looks
good or point out areas where improvement is needed (either because some
task didn't really satisfy a box or because of subjective reasons).

Jean-Paul