[Twisted-Python] The Path to Twisted 14.1

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Nov 5 18:03:56 MST 2014

On 5 Nov, 11:57 pm, itamar at itamarst.org wrote:
>On 11/04/2014 09:54 PM, Glyph wrote:
>>

>>I don't follow.  Are you saying that logger fixed some python 3 stuff,
>>and by reverting it we're losing that, or that log regressed after
>>14.0 and logger fixed it and that by reverting it we are regressing
>>with respect to its usability in 14.0?
>Logger broke installation on Python 3; Twisted trunk is unusable on
>Python 3 because of logger. It's a breakage that can be easily fixed
>(one of the modules isn't on the list of things to be installed) but
>it's incorrect to say that logger didn't break existing code.

This sub-thread seems to be based on a misreading/misunderstanding of an
earlier statement.  This one, I think:
>In favor again of reverting is the fact that no code outside
>twisted.python.logger or twisted.python.log has been modified to take
>advantage of the new system, so we're not going to be breaking any
>dependencies on trunk.

I don't think it has been suggested that logger didn't break anything
(in fact, clearly it broke many things - that's why it's being reverted
;).

Instead, Glyph was just commenting that removing logger doesn't have
particularly far-reaching consequences throughout Twisted because none
of Twisted has been updated to use the new API instead of the old API.

Jean-Paul