[Twisted-Python] The Path to Twisted 14.1

HawkOwl hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Tue Nov 4 02:38:13 MST 2014

On 4 Nov 2014, at 12:10, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On the gripping hand, many of these regressions have been outstanding for months, and so if we could get these fixed promptly enough, presumably we would have done that already.

This is mainly why I am in favour of this plan. They’re not small fixes, so we can’t just mop them up in a day.

> Delaying the revert is likely to just make things more painful.  Tempting as it is to suggest, bitter experience has taught me that trying to cram things into a release is a recipe for sadness.

*cough* 14.0 *cough* :)

> So rather than asking if you could hold off, could I instead make two requests for this feature:
>
> 	• Can please we do reviews of the fixes to the regressions as if they were landing on trunk, and not have this revert re-open the need to review the entire (rather large) change?

How are we going to manage this? Do we need an “alternate” branch, which consists of #6750 + all the regression fixes, and the “review” is making sure that all of the known regressions are fixed? Or do we remerge it as a “private” API, maybe, so that we can still fit it mostly into our dev process? Or do we do a tubes and just spin it off into another thing of its own, then merge it when it’s finished? I’m not sure.

> 	• If we can manage to get this feature landed again quickly after 14.1, will you have time to do a fast-following 14.2?

As long as it’s not the 22nd of November or the weekend of the 7th of Dec (the former of which will be spent in a drunk stupor and the latter is my birthday), I can do it no problem.

- hawkie