[Twisted-Python] Serial interface for software program

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 7 01:47:07 MDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Itamar Turner-Trauring
<itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
> If Spyder *just* uses Qt, it's a single-threaded event loop. There's a 3rd
> party event loop for Twisted that runs on top of Qt (qt4reactor), which
> would allow Twisted and Qt code to run in the same thread.

Spyder executes interpreters (seen by users as consoles) in separate threads:
https://bitbucket.org/spyder-ide/spyderlib/src/5c0af92927a342bb0eb561c1729198d3d96ab74e/spyderlib/interpreter.py?at=default#cl-47
and also monitors them to provide code completion, calltips and other features:
https://bitbucket.org/spyder-ide/spyderlib/src/5c0af92927a342bb0eb561c1729198d3d96ab74e/spyderlib/widgets/externalshell/monitor.py?at=default#cl-116

What I need is a mechanism to discover Spyder instances, attach to them
and see what (possibly prepared events) are occurring. It is important that
events are multiplexed into single stream for detecting race conditions. I
need as simple interface as possible and not Python specific even, that's
why I asked it on the network protocol level (which classic serial interface
operates on).