[Twisted-Python] Serial interface for software program

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon May 5 13:06:00 MDT 2014

On 06:49 pm, sank.daniel at gmail.com wrote:
>>There's a 3rd party event loop for Twisted that runs on top of Qt
>(qt4reactor), which would
>>allow Twisted and Qt code to run in the same thread.
>
>Speaking of which, why isn't that thing officially part of twisted?
>Super
>useful.

The PyQt team insists that the PyQt license is incompatible with
Twisted's license (this is an intentional simplification, you can read
more about the issue on PyQt's website if you really care).

Since PySide now exists this is potentially no longer an issue.
However, the last thing I heard about using PySide to run the Qt reactor
is that it segfaulted sometimes.

So perhaps the reason is that someone needs to do some work to determine
if PySide is actually safe to use with the Qt reactor now and, if it is,
shuffle some code around.

However, I'm not even sure if the GUI reactors *should* be distributed
as part of the main Twisted package.  They are already first-class
reactors via the plugin system.  Independent releases let them track
changes in the GUI library they're each concerned with more quickly than
they could if they were part of Twisted itself.

Perhaps there are other reasons, like simplicity of packaging or quality
of continuous integration testing, that would override those issues and
make it worth bringing Qt reactor back into Twisted.  Sorting that out
is also a task that requires someone interested to step up an do some
work, though. :)

Jean-Paul