[Twisted-Python] git?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Mar 13 13:35:17 MDT 2014

On Mar 13, 2014, at 4:14 AM, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.io> wrote:

> HawkOwl probably meant that it would be hard to get all the tooling (trac, ci...) working while switching up the VCS out from under it. There's a *lot* of stuff that relies on SVN details.

I think handwaving over the list of things that need to be done might make people unnecessarily afraid to work on this.  The list is finite :-).

All of our infrastructure is (or at least, should be) available here <https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid>.  It should be possible to submit a PR against that repository (and the relevant submodules) which makes the update and then just deploy it with 'fab config.production'.

The major blocker is that we need to upgrade Trac to get a version of Trac that supports a Git source browser reasonably, and can detect ticket references and ticket closures from Git commit messages.  This is currently stuck: <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Infrastructure/UpgradingTrac>.  This would be good for lots of other reasons, but upgrading trac has proven very difficult in the past.

We might also need to install a trac plugin of some kind for the git stuff, I'm not sure about that.

We would also need to port the post-commit hooks in SVN which tell Kenaan to announce commits on IRC, enforce repository structure (i.e. no merges to trunk, or, presumably, "master", without a fixed bug and a NEWS file, unless it's a quote file change), and kick off buildbot.

Right now there's some SVN mirroring stuff to keep SVN updated on Trac, since we don't want our release repository on the same machine running the website.  (code.twistedmatrix.com has a much smaller attack surface).

The CI system actually already uses git, in preparation for this merge, so I don't think there's a whole lot of work there.  We might not even need to set a different upstream URL.

If someone would like to turn this list into a wiki page under <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Infrastructure> that would be great, so it could be updated with anything I've forgotten. Right now there's the beginnings of a SwitchToBazaar which should probably be deleted, since we're not going to do that.

-glyph