[Twisted-Python] git?

HawkOwl hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Thu Mar 13 05:17:13 MDT 2014

On 13/03/14 19:04, Jonathan Ballet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:14:53PM +0800, HawkOwl wrote: Hi Chris,
>
> I can assure you this topic has come up many times - and unless we
> have volunteers that can manage to get the several thousand
> tickets with comment history into GitHub (which I'm sure that
> nobody wants to get tied to when you have a workflow already),
> without losing anything, then it's most likely Twisted is sticking
> with svn and trac.
>
>> Why does using Git involve moving tickets over to Github? Why
>> does using Git even involve Github at all, in the first place?
>
>> Jonathan

If you want git access, we have that already (both read and write!),
so the only reason for moving the base repo to git would be to use a
bug tracker that interfaces with git, or to use github.

The *only* thing git can't be used for when contributing with Twisted
is releases, due to Twisted's non-standard release branch structure.
Everything else is using `git svn dcommit` instead of `git push`.

There is no other reason to do a base repo switch other than "svn is
scary" or "I don't like svn".

- -hawkowl

> Git has svn support - see `git svn`. I have merged several
> branches with it, and it works great. Use that instead, if you get
> commit access :)
>
> -hawkowl

I do wonder how many people know about the above feature, it blows