[Twisted-Python] Freezing Ampoule or the Invasion of Infinite Zombie Processes

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 12 05:32:05 MDT 2014

On 04:04 am, burak at nehbit.net wrote:
>spawnProcess is somewhat low-level.  It would be very nice indeed if
>Twisted had some sort of Service object you could easily use for
>spawning worker processes, along the lines of Ampoule, that would take
>care of all the platform-specific nonsense of setting up communication
>with subprocesses, spawning them, monitoring them, figuring out the
>right Python to spawn, the right environment variables to get sys.path
>correct, and other things, such as...
>
>Ampoule is very close. Any chance of polishing and absorbing it into
>Twisted? Parallel computing is the weakest point of entire Python
>ecosystem, and Ampoule is so very close to the perfection, unless, like
>me, you end up getting stuck on a corner case.

It sure would be great if someone took this on.  Twisted would welcome
better high-level tools that build on spawnProcess (apropos, Twisted
would also welcome a better low-level tool to replace spawnProcess).

Considering the amount of maintenance Ampoule seems to have gotten over
the last four years (~1 commit) I doubt you can count on someone else
picking this up just because it would be great, though.

Jean-Paul