[Twisted-Python] git?

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Wed Mar 19 02:46:21 MDT 2014

On 19 March 2014 01:51, Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
[snip]
> That said, I think Github  - as a platform - creates a certain "feeling" of
> openness, transparency, accessibility and recognisability.

Well.. it depends! GitHub is closed source and for any change you are
at the mercy of GitHub developers or rely on GitHub API + external
hacks to do what you want.

This does not mean that Twisted can not be moved to GitHub... but I am
not sure about the open part.
GitHub ticket management is mediocre but I don't see any advanced
ticket handling in Twisted's Trac either.

<snip>
> I think accepting PRs via Github would be a huge benefit to Twisted.
>
> I feel many developers see Twisted as good and stable, but also a little
> 'dusty' and old, and I think that a move to Github would bring more code
> submitters, more discussions, more accessibility and more ' generel
> development' in the project.
>
> For that reasons I feels like it may be a good idea to move twisted to
> Github.
>
> If at some point the core dev team decides that such a move should happen, I
> would love to help with the movement of issues etc.(all the slave work :))
> (and I think others outside the core team would be willing to help out too)

Me too. Happy to do the slave work!

For my project, I already do something similar.
I have a git *mirror* on GitHub, tickets in Trac and reviews over GitHub.
Using Trac-API and GitHub-API I keep trac ticket in sync with GitHub
pull request activity.

As a non comitter sending patches and now reviewing patches is not fun...
and I think that contributing to open source project should be fun.

> While I doubt Twisted would move to Github’s pretty poor issue tracker,
> there is already some agreement that Twisted should be moved to github
> inasmuch that PRs should reasonably be integrated into the workflow.

Even if Twisted would completely move to GitHub, I think is very hard
to do this move all at once.
This is why, for me, it makes much sense to migrate review process,
tickets, wiki (if required), website as independent steps.
GitHub API and hooks are great and can help keep things in sync while
the transition is done.

I have not done any work in helping move reviews to GitHub since the
CONTRIBUTING file contains a bold warning

**Warning: pull requests are ignored!**

This read to me like : Hey you fad driven developer! Stop using this
fancy new, git,  GitHub and PR things and go user our old good Trac
and SVN tools.

This is not a complain, just well intention feedback!

Looking forward for working with Pull Requests in Twisted :)

--
Adi Roiban