[Twisted-Python] git?

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 18 17:51:22 MDT 2014

On March 18, 2014 at 6:38:42 PM, Jonas Brunsgaard (jonas.brunsgaard at gmail.com) wrote:
I think that it is a shame that Twisted is not on Github(Yep Github, not just git)

If we make a comparison between SVN and Git, I think it is obvious that Git is the superior VCS.

That said, I think Github  - as a platform - creates a certain "feeling" of openness, transparency, accessibility and recognisability.

All things, that make new users of twisted feel better about the project.

As an example I think that most developers know how to submit PR's via Github, where I (as an example) don`t know how to submit a patch to Twisted today(of cause I could read up on it, but i already know the other flow). And that could hold back some people from submitting bugfixes etc.

I think accepting PRs via Github would be a huge benefit to Twisted.

I feel many developers see Twisted as good and stable, but also a little 'dusty' and old, and I think that a move to Github would bring more code submitters, more discussions, more accessibility and more ' generel development' in the project.

For that reasons I feels like it may be a good idea to move twisted to Github.

If at some point the core dev team decides that such a move should happen, I would love to help with the movement of issues etc.(all the slave work :)) (and I think others outside the core team would be willing to help out too)
While I doubt Twisted would move to Github’s pretty poor issue tracker, there is already some agreement that Twisted should be moved to github inasmuch that PRs should reasonably be integrated into the workflow.

There are already some tickets on the Twisted tracker about a move to Git. I’m sure your help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Here’s a wiki page where some of the tickets are linked: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Infrastructure/SwitchToGit

--
Christopher Armstrong
http://twitter.com/radix