[Twisted-Python] which async framework?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 01:28:23 MDT 2014

Hi All,

Apologies for the cross-post, but this is a "which framework" question
so seemed the most constructive way. Not interested in religious
debates, just trying to pick the best tool for the job and didn't get
much of a useful response from python-list...

So, I see python now has a plethora of async frameworks and I need to
try and pick one to use from:

- asyncio/tulip
- tornado
- twisted

 From my side, I'm looking to experimentally build a network testing
tool that will need to speak a fair few protocols, both classic tcp and
multicast-based, and have a web api living on top of it that most likely
will have a websocket for pumping data to the browser. It'll also need
to write out JUnit-compatible xml results, but that's like the easiest
bit ;-)

I'd like to be able to serve the rest of the web api using a pyramid
wsgi app if possible, and I'd like to be able to write the things that
process requests in and validation out in a synchronous fashion, most
likely spinning off a thread for each one.

The protocols are all financial (do we really not have a pure-python FIX
library?!) but none are likely to have existing python implementations.

How should I pick between the options? What would people recommend and why?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk