[Twisted-Python] some competition and hopefully inspiration for conch

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jul 17 04:17:38 MDT 2014

On Jul 17, 2014, at 2:34 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 17 July 2014 00:40, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> There's a new Python-based asynchronous SSH client and server in town:
>
> <http://asyncssh.timeheart.net/#>
>
> This looks to have a much more straightforward API and way better documentation than Conch, although it's of course python 3.4+ only and lacks many of Conch's sophisticated (if somewhat idiosyncratic) terminal handling features.
>
> I hope that this project will spur a little friendly competition from Conch's maintainers, such as we are :-).
>

> How did you found this project?

The author announced it on the Tulip list.  Why do you ask?

> I could not find it on PyPi and I failed to find any information about how to contribute to the project... I did sent an email to the author.

It's on Github.  There's a link on the author's page.

> I could not find a suite of automated tests.  I hope that asyncssh is willing to compete with Twisted Conch SSH and improve on this :)

Huh, I hadn't gotten that far :-).

> (...) I prefer Conch API. (...)

Glad to hear it :).

> Conch source code is very readable (for it's size and age) and I manage to put it into use just by reading the code and docstrings/API docs.

I'm definitely glad that people can figure out how to use Conch, even given the state of its documentation :).  But it's definitely more of a struggle than it could be.  I think asyncssh's documentation style is one to aspire to: it's very straightforward, and tells you how to do useful things with very minimal examples.  I think there are some clunky bits of the Conch API which could be cleaned up, but even totally as-is we could probably asyncssh's their documentation outline, and possibly toss in a few more goodies as well.

-glyph