[Twisted-Python] bringing LDAP back

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jul 1 12:49:30 MDT 2014

On Jul 1, 2014, at 10:40 AM, Tommi Virtanen <tommi.virtanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Bret Curtis <bret.curtis at amplidata.com> wrote:
>> 2) Twisted creates it's own Ldaptor repo, I or someone else clones
>> this and then merge TV42's repo in, commit/push and file a merge
>> request with Twisted/Ldaptor.
>
> This, please. Create a new repo (not Github-fork), call it
> twisted/ldaptor, fetch tv42/ldaptor and push the commits to the
> twisted/ldaptor. Then start the work toward fixing things.

OK.  At this point I think the one task *I* need to do is to make some people members of the Twisted org on github.  Can I have a list of all the relevant github handles?

(Also, please be careful, and don't push to the main Twisted repo if you work on Twisted.  Github is super obnoxious about mirroring; we can't turn off pull requests and we can't turn off pushes even though it's really supposed to be a read-only mirror right now, and pushes to that repository break our SVN integration.)

>> A) What to do with the UI part of Ldaptor. Who, if anyone, still uses
>> it? Do we trim it out or just mark it as deprecated since it relies on
>> old versions of twisted and nevow.
>
> I'd say just make a single commit that removes ldaptor/apps,
> bin/ldaptor-webui, test-webui.tac, po/ldaptor-webui*,
> doc/examples.webui, admin/run-twill, ldaptor/test/test_webui.py, and
> mentions of it from setup.py.

Sounds good to me.

> As long as that happens in a single commit, it'll be easy to restore
> in e.g. a new twisted/ldaptor-webui repository, if wanted.

If there's going to be a web UI it should probably use twisted.web.template and not nevow, given that it doesn't use Athena or any JS.

-glyph