[Twisted-Python] Protocol for socket.io

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sun Jan 26 04:42:39 MST 2014

Hi Laurens,

>Hm. I can't find it in the current version. Either I am misremembering, or they expect you to use the pubsub thing as an RPC mechanism somehow (i.e. the room name is the procedure name).

I see. Using PubSub to implement RPC seems hackish at best, if it works at all. E.g. how to make sure only 1 implementing endpoint subscribes to the Room (to receive procedure calls), how to direct call results to calling clients (since only the caller should receive his result), etc etc

Unsurprisingly (probably), I'd like to point to WAMP: http://wamp.ws/

Which was designed from the ground up for exactly this: 1 protocol that covers _both_ RPC and PubSub, and runs over WebSocket.

Autobahn|Python implements both WebSocket and WAMP (https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython)

End of marketing message;)

/Tobias