[Twisted-Python] Maximum number of SSL connections to the server

Sumanth Puram spuram at kiwiup.com
Mon Jan 13 06:28:01 MST 2014

Hi all,

I am doing load testing on my twisted SSL server. I spawn threads(~2000)
from the application and each thread will act as a SSL client and connect
to the server.
Client code is straight forward. It creates a socket, does SSL wrap and
connects to the server. Once all threads connect to the server, every
thread closes its socket.

During my initial tests, I found that after 245 successful connections, all
remaining threads started to fail with this error on the client side.

*SSLError: [Errno 8] _ssl.c:503: EOF occurred in violation of protocol*

Then I figured out that its an issue with number of open files which was by
default - 256. I changed the limit for server and client to 10000. It
successfully completed the 500 connections test.

Now it fails after 1010 successful connections. I checked the number of
open files of the server process it remains at 1010 and there are no stale
open files.

Client shows the same error
*SSLError: [Errno 8] _ssl.c:503: EOF occurred in violation of protocol*

Twisted logs on the server shows that it connects first and then
disconnects with this error.

*<127.0.0.1:5549 <http://127.0.0.1:5549>>  connected*
*<127.0.0.1:55249 <http://127.0.0.1:55249>>  lost connection: [('SSL
routines', 'SSL23_READ', 'ssl handshake failure')]*

How can I fix this ? How should I approach to debug ?

Thanks
-Sumanth