[Twisted-Python] txmongo vs. pymongo + callInThread

Clayton Daley clayton.daley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:23:28 MST 2014

I'm still in "proof of concept" mode so take my comments with a grain of
salt... but my question was motivated by datetime issues:

   - After switching to txmongo, timedelta seemed to break. Turns out it
   breaks autobahn as well so I may need to solve the problem sooner... but
   it's a material difference.
   - I also wanted to take advantage of some timezone stuff purportedly
   included in newer versions of pymongo (but I haven't fully implemented
   anything yet to verify).

When it comes to interest in txmongo:

   - Insofar as it would address the question of lazy calls (and possible
   hassles like not-lazy iterators), it would be a welcome simplification to
   deferToThread.
   - At the same time, I don't see any intrinsic benefit to rebuild the
   client all-the-way-down.  If it were possible to wrap PyMongo in a
   lazy-aware (and deferred returning) wrapper... that would be enough for me.
   - If a wrapper reduces the work to maintain the project at parity, I'd
   redouble my support for the approach. No need to commit volunteer
   supporters (current and/or future) to more work than absolutely necessary.

Clayton Daley