[Twisted-Python] txmongo vs. pymongo + callInThread

bret curtis psi29a at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 02:50:30 MST 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Gelin Yan <dynamicgl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Clayton Daley <clayton.daley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Are there any major disadvantages of using pymongo with callInThread
>> instead of txmongo?  I'd like to take advantage of some newer features in
>> pymongo (unfortunately not available in txmongo) and it's certainly easier
>> to maintain feature parity using callInThread.
>>
>> Clayton Daley
>>

> Hi Clayton
>
>     Txmongo has been inactive for a while so I suggest using pymongo &
> twisted thread pool. I have been using them for a couple of years and they
> work quite well.
>
> Regards
>
> gelin yan

Hey guys,

just wanted to drop in and say that txmongo isn't dead. We (Amplidata) just
recently sent a merge request to add SSL (authentication/encryption)
support[1] that Alexandre will review after the holidays. While Alexandre
isn't currently developing txmongo, he does review and accept pull
requests. So while the community is small, it is still alive.

Amplidata (the company I work for) has also expressed an interest in
getting txmongo up to speed with PyMongo, similar in how we got Ldaptor and
its myriad forks to converge and development happening again.[2][3]

Is there any interest in seeing txmongo be developed further? What are some
of the pain points that people would rather defer to thread PyMongo instead
of using async txmongo?

Cheers,
Bret

[1] https://github.com/fiorix/mongo-async-python-driver/pull/67