[Twisted-Python] Is there pb documentation somewhere?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Aug 18 13:13:51 MDT 2014

On Aug 18, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Daniel Sank <sank.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> glyph,
>
> > On the sender's side, the object can't disappear unless the recipient sends the deletion.
>
> Surely a resource can disappear on the server. When that happens, any Referenceables being used to mediate access to that resource should go away... or something, right? I must not be thinking about this correctly.

What do you mean by "disappear"?  A "resource" - i.e. a Referenceable - is just a Python object in memory.  One could of course write an intentionally malicious PB server that made it appear that an object had "disappeared" by responding with errors to all method calls sent over the wire, but in normal operation, Python objects don't spontaneously ascend to a different plane of existence - as long as there are pointers to them in memory (in the case of Referenceables that are currently in use, a reference from a dictionary on the Broker instance for the client which is using them) they will remain alive indefinitely.

-glyph